Thursday, February 10, 2011

lovebirds

The term "lovebirds" has often been used to reference a couple in love, but I realized I never took the time to find out why.  Genetically from the parrot family, lovebirds today are depicted as tiny parrots.  They got their name because they sit closely to each and are known to keep in pairs, and keep in pairs privately (similar to behavior of a couple in love).  The symbol is used on Valentine's day because apparently in the olden times there was a belief that birds found their mate on February 14.  I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to see more hearts and explosions of red and pink overtaking the candy aisle more than anything else. 


Needless to say, birds can be creatively incorporated into a rustic and garden wedding theme.  Below are a few things I've found that I love!

For a personalized touch on a guest book, you can order beautiful hand drawn manzanita trees (below by Bleu de toi) and have your guests thumbprint "leaves" onto the tree and sign their name.  The ink color can reflect your wedding's color scheme and by the end of the night you'll have a memorable keepsake to take home and frame.  I also love the bride and groom birds at the bottom!

For an alternative card box, find a cute birdcage for guests to drop their cards in.


Source: Green Wedding Shoes.  Photo Credit: Taryn Kent Photography
Your centerpieces can resemble a nest (or be an actual nest!) with more earth tones like brown, green, and tan, with a neutral colored table cloth.  The cake toppers to the left are some of my favorites!  Of course there are tons more -- Etsy is an excellent resource for handmade cake toppers.  The black and white ones also double as salt and pepper shakers, another nice keepsake for your new home. 
 
Centerpiece: The Knot. 
Bird Cake Toppers: 1. Red Light Studio 2. Lauren Alane 3. buttoneyedteddybear - Etsy 4. Madame Pomme
Photo Credit: Once Wed
Moving right along to wedding favors and invitations! My friend Anna is in the process of planning her bird-themed wedding and shared these creative pieces with me, both from vendors on Etsy.


Source: Etsy.com
Hope you were inspired today!

No comments:

Post a Comment